Tuesday, September 8, 2015

First Day of Preschool At Home!

Today, I introduced preschool at home to my two kids, Aria (3), and J'mon (2.) While they are ALWAYS eager to learn, neither have ever been in a formal learning environment, so I felt it best to start off slowly.

First, we did a couple of puzzles that we have. We love Melissa and Doug wooden puzzles in this house!

Second, we read a few books. Usually, I'll try to incorporate our weekly theme in at least one of the books in some way, but today, I just grabbed three different books to read aloud.

Next, we did some animal flash cards. These flashcards I got for $1 from Target a year ago. They have animals from cats and dogs to kangaroos and koalas! Some of the more exotic and uncommon animals threw them a bit, but these cards a great way to broaden their animal identification spectrum!

Then, we did a short lesson on different and the same. At the same time I picked up those animal flash cards, I also picked up a Doc McStuffins Matching Game. My kids have never played Memory before, so I took this opportunity to teach them, while also teaching them how to tell the difference between a picture of Doc holding Stuffy (her dragon) and Doc carrying her medical bag. Aria picked up on it very quickly, and J'mon followed suit. During the game, we focused on each picture before turning over the second card. I also helped remind them it's a good idea to pay attention to which cards they're turning over so they can make matches. I ended up tying with J'mon for first place. Aria was eager to help both of us find our matches and was a great sport over not winning! I assured her that we'd play again, and I bet she'd win next time! ;-)


Finally, we watched a couple of YouTube videos about phonics (2), animal sounds, and The Wheels on the Bus, because it's one of J'mon's favorites!

Tomorrow begins our first day of a more structured curriculum! I'm excited to reveal our weekly theme to the kids tomorrow, but I'll go ahead and let you know right now that it's All About The Farm! We'll be tracing, cutting, writing, matching, etc. all this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment